We didn't waste much time getting into the gritty, exciting and often mundane details of the Amigo Motor Lodge renovation. 17 rooms is a pretty small motel by most definitions, but it sure adds up when you consider we are attempting to finish this project with about 5 total laborers: a jack-of-all trades carpenter, a tile guy, a carpet guy, a paint guy and myself, who is attempting to learn and help as much as possible but most likely just getting in the way. 

So after arriving to Salida on a Tuesday night, we started demolition work on one room in each of the buildings (one king room and one double queen) to learn exactly what each room layout might bring.  What we knew and confirmed is that the two rooms were constructed at different times and with fairly different materials.  They were both with their own wonderful surprises (hidden holes in the wall under paintings, crumbling rotten tile, etc).  That said, we have made great progress in the last 10 days of work and are happy to be in the process of putting the rooms back together, which is much harder than tearing them apart!

Here is a look at the rooms as they sat - basically you could be looking at any boring motel in any town near you: 

Yes, this room smells exactly like it looks...

Yes, this room smells exactly like it looks...

IMG_5492.JPG
Scenes of tranquil nature adorn the walls...

Scenes of tranquil nature adorn the walls...

So, yeah...you have probably stayed in a place like this.  It's a roof, bed and hot water at a decent price but not a lot more.  And with a magic wave of the wand, we started to erase the sins of the past: 

Furniture, trim, sinks, counters and even the toilets get removed. We have been able to donate almost 100% of the room furnishings to the local Habitat for Humanity and a lot of locals through a Facebook group. 

Furniture, trim, sinks, counters and even the toilets get removed. We have been able to donate almost 100% of the room furnishings to the local Habitat for Humanity and a lot of locals through a Facebook group. 

Under the tile was some fairly decent rot and rust. And is that a 'Yard Sale' sign framing out what used to be the built in soap dish? 

Under the tile was some fairly decent rot and rust. And is that a 'Yard Sale' sign framing out what used to be the built in soap dish? 

The carpets were cut and rolled off, the floors ground down and a few wall and ceiling panels were removed to better understand what lucked behind the surfaces. After about a day in each room, it was time to start putting things back together, which is always the fun but slow part. 

Lucky for us, under the ceiling tile was some sheet rock. After removing about 1,000 staples it was time to apply tape and mud to smooth everything out. 

Lucky for us, under the ceiling tile was some sheet rock. After removing about 1,000 staples it was time to apply tape and mud to smooth everything out. 

On the other side, the king room bathroom got some new Durorock backing to replace some old plaster.  

On the other side, the king room bathroom got some new Durorock backing to replace some old plaster.  

Though we are trying to keep waste to a minimum, a few trips to the local dump are necessary. Fighting a fresh 8" of snow makes it all that more fun. 

Though we are trying to keep waste to a minimum, a few trips to the local dump are necessary. Fighting a fresh 8" of snow makes it all that more fun. 

Well, that's it for now. The next renovation update should show some of the ceiling and wall refinishing work (getting rid of texture is quite the task!) and maybe a sneak peek into a few finishes like tile selection. Stay tuned!

 

Comment